LakeHouse is the renovated version of the previous restaurant, Cascades. Man, it is starkly different than its predecessor. Missing is the huge mermaid fountain, which will be made into a bronze statue, and out-of-date decor. This place has been completely transformed into a modern, hip place to dine or simply meet for cocktails. When I am looking for a good restaurant in the attractions area - for a special occassion or every day dining - I will now consider LakeHouse first.
And that is because of the stellar menu - basically comfort food with a twist. Plus, the food is fresh, seasonal and local - and I can enjoy my food in a beautiful atmosphere, with a view of a lake, a fountain, greenery and an expansive herb garden. Even though I have dined at many different restaurants, I tasted some cocktails and dishes that I have never had before. Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Almond Filled Dates wrapped in Bacon. First, I never thought about pairing dates and crispy bacon before now. I wish I had, because I would be eating this daily at home! This small plate is a perfect app, and the Sriracha dip brings the perfect amount of heat.
2. Margherita Pizza. Simple but delicious pizza with sliced Roma tomatoes, Mozzarella, torn basil and parmesan. We also loved the House Pizza (Chef's Special), which featured peaches and goat cheese on this occasion.
3. Filet Mignon with Herb Bread Pudding, Port Wine Sauce, Beech Mushroom and Asparagus. You had me at Herb Bread Pudding. I could have eaten this - and the Port Wine Sauce - all day. I was also impressed that the filet was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
4. Grilled Shrimp Cocktail with Spicy Bloody Mary Sauce. Wow. The shrimp were grilled and seasoned perfectly, and we love the corresponding sauce with a kick of heat. This is much different than your average Shrimp Cocktail dish - and tastes much better.
|Filet Mignon with Herb Bread Pudding|
5. Sushi, sashimi and nigiri. All of the options we tried were delicious, but the HRGC roll was our favorite. The roll features krab salad, avocado, sliced mango and eel sauce. Yum!
There were also a variety of beautiful desserts. We weren't blown away by the taste of some, but we loved the presentation of Milk & Cookies, which can be ordered for an individual or the whole table.